Microneedling reverses sun damage & improves the appearance of scars as well as the overall texture & health of the skin.
As we age our skin cells essentially forget what to do. Eventually these cells are not performing the functions required for maintaining healthy/young looking skin which results in the appearance of rough uneven texture, laxity, hyperpigmentation & brown spots, dullness, redness & ruddiness. Microneedling works by creating thousands of precise micro injuries (teeny tiny microscopic holes) in the dermis which stimulates your skin’s natural ability to repair itself by forming collagen. The release of growth factors and other proteins associated with this collagen formation help the cells to “remember” & perform their functions properly. The result is skin that behaves & therefore looks healthier & younger.
Most anyone can benefit from this treatment: One of the best things about microneedling, unlike many of its alternatives such as some laser resurfacing treatments, is that it can be used safely & effectively on all types & colors of skin. It’s excellent for maintaining youthful skin & prolonging the need for more invasive & expensive treatments.
What to Expect when you come in for a Microneedling treatment: When you arrive for treatment, you’ll cleanse your skin thoroughly (including removing any eye makeup so there’s no possibility of tattooing in those mascara smudges). We will take a series of photos & will then apply a topical numbing agent to ensure your comfort during the treatment.
- Treatment time may range from 30 minutes to 1 hour (or even a little longer depending on the areas being treated & your skin type).
- Most patients don’t feel any needles, only the vibration from the SkinPen during the procedure, with possibly a mild prickly sensation in some areas.
- We will apply a soothing serum immediately post-procedure to calm the skin.
- Mild side effects with minimal to no downtime. The skin will appear slightly pink to red immediately after, similar to a mild to moderate sunburn, but will usually just be pink & maybe a little blotchy by the next day.
- We will also provide you with a post procedure kit containing products to be applied after your treatment.
- You may apply a tinted mineral sunscreen or mineral makeup the next day & can resume your normal makeup regimen 2-3 days following treatment.
At about the 2 week mark after treatment we notice what we refer to as a “post needling glow” where the skin has luminosity to it, pores appear more refined and it just looks more alive. Over time, fine lines (especially around the eyes and mouth) & scarring will be minimized and the skin will be smoother & more resilient. For optimal results we recommend a series of 3-6 treatments spaced about 4–6 weeks apart based on your skin’s needs.
Contact us at Skinspirations for a FREE consultation to find out whether microneedling may be right for you.