Remember those years when you spent hours working on your tan? If you’re a certain age, you remember using baby oil and iodine with an SPF of 0.
Now years later it becomes time to pay the piper, and we spend the rest of our lives trying to get rid of sun damage that shows up from those early days of sun exposure. Sunlight has a profound effect on the skin, causing premature skin aging, sun spots, age spots and skin cancer, as well as a host of skin changes.
Exposure to ultraviolet light, UVA or UVB, from sunlight accounts for 90% of the symptoms of premature skin aging. Sun Damage can cause age spots, rough skin texture, mottled pigment, wrinkling and sagging from the loss of collagen, and visible blood vessels on the face. All these concerns can usually be blamed on the sun.
Besides preventing further sun damage with the use of good sunscreens, there are a variety of options available today to help repair and restore any skin on your body to its pre-sun damaged state. Dr. Elliott and the staff of Skinspirations can help you choose the appropriate skin care services and professional skin care products that will help make you look like you never had all that fun in the sun.
Besides a professionally recommended skincare product strategy, here are some recommended treatments by concern that may not take you back in time but will help repair the damage
• Brown spots, freckles, blotchy pigmentation, redness: Photodynamic Therapy (IPL with Levulan), IPL (series)
• Rough or thickened texture, leathery skin: Chemical peels, Laser MicroPeel
• Scaly, precancerous bumps: Photodynamic Therapy (IPL with Levulan)
• Visible blood vessels: Laser Vein Removal
• Wrinkles and lines: Profractional, SkinPen Microneedling, Injectable Fillers